Tutorials for the Techno-Challenged Turn up your computer’s volume for these tutorials (sorry)
- Download Firefox as your browser when editing your WordPress blog. This is a free browser that you can use alternately instead of Internet Explorer and is better with WordPress (for some reason). If you experience ‘missing’ menus or blank screens sometimes, please download Firefox and try again.
WORDPRESS TUTORIALS FOR MY CUSTOMERS: (customized WordPress installation)
- Your Welcome Email Blog & Hosting Overview
- **New 3.5** Create a Post with Photo & Links Tutorial
- **New** Making a Custom Sidebar Widget with photo! CLICK HERE
- 2.8 **NEW* Upgrade Your WordPress Installation – with ‘Automatic Update’ and what to do if you *haven’t* been updating!
- Backing Up Your Website (before upgrading via Fantastico or other major changes)
- *NEW* Embedding YouTube Video
- *NEW* Adding Constant Contact newsletter ‘page’, added Sept. 09
- *NEW* Adding a Photo & Link to your sidebar added Sept. 09
- Edit Photo for Post (Photoshop 7)
General flash tutorials on WordPress (suitable for WordPress.com or no plugins installed).
- WordPress 2.7 – Overview
- How to login to WP Dashboard
- How to write a Post
- How to write a Page
- Using the Media Library
- How to use the Links feature
- How to use Widgets
- WordPress Settings Overview
- How to Change/Activate Themes
How-To & Optimization of Your blog
- PDF – 7 Steps To Optimizing WordPress*
- PDF – WP Tutorial E-Book (this explains how to install and configure your own blog, you already have it installed, however you may wish to change some of the configuring). *
- LINK – De-Mystifying FTP – “How to get it up there…” I prefer SmartFTP but this shows how to use “FireFTP” which comes built into Firefox. Note: uploading too many plug-ins can cause them to conflict and mess up your blog.
Photo Editing You should *never* upload a photo directly from your camera (or desktop) without scaling it down. By ignoring this, you will cause your site to run slower and photos showing up to delay the loading of your site… people will move on.
- FREE PHOTO EDITING SOFTWARE: GIMP.org free photo editing software is an awesome and powerful application that I am amazed is free and available for many platforms.